The Story of Shri Mahalaxmi, Goa
Temple is 4 kms from Ponda in the village Bandora. Shri Nagesh
Maharoudra Temple is destined approximately 300 meter apart. The
presiding deity is Shri Mahalaxmi other deities in the temple are
Shri Narayan, Shri Baleshwar, Shri
Ravalnath and Shri Narayan Purush.
This place was known in the past as "Bandiwad" or
the Goddess of power and strength. She is believed to be an incarnation of ‘Adishakti’-the
supreme power and energy. The Shaktas, among the Saraswats, worshipped Adishakti
in the form of the linga. Many accept her as Pallavi, their supporting deity,
believing that this Goddess of tremendous strength and power was released when
the devas and rakshasas were churning the ocean for amrita (nectar). This was
popularly know as the Amruthmanthan. The Saraswats, at
the time of their arrival in Goa, were worshippers of 'Shiva-Shakti'.
While Shiva was represented by the 'Linga', Shakti was a Goddess. Thus
Shri Mahalaxmi was their Goddess. This Goddess has been worshipped by the Shilahara rulers
(750-1030 A.D.) and the Kadamba Kings of Goa. This peaceful or Satvika form of devi has a unique feature, that she wears linga on her head.
In addition to the black granite stone idol, there was also an Utsava idol made
of 'panchloha' (five metals). Legend has it that during the inquisition in
1557, two non-Brahmins, Sapta and Phato, carried the Utsava idol in a box, while
the granite idol was broken by the Portuguese. Sapta and Phato traveled by boat
along the Arabian Sea, crossed the Rasai River and reached Talawal or Durbat in
Atrunja, and handed over the idol to the Bhandiwade Mahalaxmi Temple. Sapta and
Phato were rewarded by the Goddess who ordered the management to give them each
two balls of rice after the mid-day mahapuja. This practice is carried out even
today at a small hut constructed (near the temple) in memory of these two
devotees. The Bhandiwade Mahalaxmi, which resembles the Mahalaxmi idol at
Kolhapur in Maharashtra, has four arms. These arms hold a sickle, a club, a
dagger, and a vessel containing prasad and flowers. Even today
one can see the original stone idol at the centre of 'Garbhagar', while
the small metal idol brought from Kolva is placed in corner. The
festival of Mahashivaratra is dedicated to the original deity, while of
the Ram-navami is performed in honour of the deity from Colva. On that
day, she is placed in the Maharath and taken into procession. Apart from
Navami (Chaitra Shud
Navami), and Maha
Shivaratri Festival in the month of Magha,
Shri Mahalakshmi Pratishthapana Day in Vaishakha and Navaratri Festival in the month of Ashwin are also celebrated grandly.
is one of our ancient Kuladevata Temples.
When Lord Parashuram had invited our
forefathers from Trihotrapura, they had
come down to Goa with their deities of
daily worship, which later became the
Kulaswamis. Prominent among them were Shri
Magirish Mahadev (popularly known as Shri
Mangesh), Shri Mahalakshmi, Shri Mahalasa,
Shri Shantadurga, Shri Nagesh and Shri
They were installed in different
parts of Goa and when Shri Nagesh was
installed in Bandiwade, Ponda it was
believed that close to it, Shri
Mahalakshmi temple was erected.
some people believe that this
Goddess was migrated from Kolvem village in Salcete taluka, during the
persecution of Hindu temples by Portuguese rulers in the year 1540 to
Mahalaxmi Temple was
located in Bhandiwade during the historical time when Parashuram along with ten
'Gotra' Saraswat Brahmin Rishi migrated towards the South of India. This is as
mentioned in the Shriskanda Puran Uttar Rahasya Sahayadri Khanda Prathmodhya. On their
arrival in Goa, the Saraswats, who had brought the Mahalaxmi idol with them,
built a temple at Bhanda-Vatika or Bhandiwade village in the Atrunja or Ponda
Most of the Saraswats, however, were then living at Tiswadi and Sasasti talukas
and had to cross a river and travel a long distance to worship the deity. So
they established at Kolva, just 6 km from Madgaon, another Mahalaxmi temple, on
the banks of the Arabian Sea.The inscription of 1413 A.D. referred makes the
mention of this Goddess and it means that at that time she was existing
there. In fact, Shri Mahalaxmi of Colva was migrated from there first to
Talaulim in Ponda taluka along with other deities and later on to
Bandivadem. Other deities in the temple are
Shri Narayan, Shri Baleshwar, Shri
Ravalnath and Shri Narayan Purush.
Sabhamandap has a gallery of 18 images out of emanatory aspects of
Bhagvata sect and this gallery is considered one of the rare galleries
of wooden images of Vishnu in India. The
speciality of this temple is its beautiful chowka which is famous for its
grandeur and beauty. The Agrashala in the
front and behind the temple as well as of the right side were
constructed in the year of 1703 saka, Plava sanvatsar. The Agrashalas on the left side were constructed by Sarvashri
Ramachandra Tata Naik Gaunekar and Panduranga Naik Namashikar while of
the back side left was constructed by Narayan Laxman Naik Bhatkar and
Sasashiva Naik Gaunekar.|
The ground floor of the present backside Agrashala was reconstructed in the year 1965 and the first floor was completed in 1970. It has 7 compartments on each floor. The Agrashala in front of the temple was constructed in the year 1937. The reconstruction of the right side one took place in the year 1965. The construction of the building behind the temple on right side was started in 1974. The inauguration of this new building took place on the 24th March 1974. The adjoining building has to be reconstructed. The temple has three halls for auspicious functions to celebrate like weddings, Thread Ceremony, Naming the child and other rites and rituals which is performed on inviting groups of people. The name of the halls are Mahalaxmi Hall, Rawalnath Hall, Narayan Dev Hall.
|Pooja is held
everyday in the temple from 7:00 a.m till 11:30 a.m. Miday pooja is held
at 12:00 noon. And the evening pooja is held at 8 in the evening. Other
festivals celebrated by Shri Mahalaxmi Temple are:
Chaitra Pournima in Chaitra i.e. in March/ April
Ashadh Shudha Dashmi and Kartik Sudha Dashmi in July/ November respectively.
Anant Chaturdashi in Badrapadh i.e. September
Vaikunth Chaturdashi (Awali Bojan) in Kartik i.e. November
temple was established in
the year 1413 A.D. (Shaka 1335 as per the
Hindu Calendar) by Gowda Saraswat
Brahmins. The reinstallation Ceremony was
performed on May 7th, 1990 by the then
President Shri Subhash T. N. Gunekar in
the esteemed presence of Shrimat Vidyadhiraj
Tirth Swamiji of Shri Gokarn Math.
For the Amruthmanthan Story Click here.
of the Gotras and Surnames
Bhardwaj Gotra: Bhandare, Kamat, Kamat Gaunkar, Kamat Dakhankar.
Kaudinya Gotra: Kamat, Adarkar, Ajrekar, Bhandari, Shenavi Bhandari.
2001 © mahalaxmidev.com All Rights Reserved
Home l Story l Specialty l Deities l Swamijis l Matths l Shlokas l Panchang l News l Festivals l Temples in Goa l Other Temples l Associations l Matrimonial l Announcements l Personals l Recipes l Guest book l FAQ l Members l Facilities l About Us